All photos on this website are copyright protected.
Snowcatcheron December 27, 2008
About the Photo:
My dad, model railroader extraordinaire, received a trio of cyclists in a package of people he ordered for his trains. He didn't want cyclists on his display, so he sent them to me. They've been collecting dust on my mantle ever since.
While pedaling up Squaw Pass two days before a DGrin challenge was to end, I came up with the idea for the above shot for the theme "Feathered or Scaled."
The following morning we set out on our bikes with camera and prop for a nearby dam so I could have an uncluttered sky background. Less than 30 minutes later, we were chased home by lightning, which pretty much lasted the rest of the day.
We tried again the following morning. Brett posed, and I pulled the little cyclist out of my pack, only to discover he had been dismembered! I had only two hours to get to church, so I didn't have time to go back for another cyclist and a new matching jersey, if we even had one. So I used the celophane tape I'd planned to use to attach the cyclist to my finger to perform surgery right there on the dam. Of course, the unexpected delay cost me the morning's pink and orange sky. But I did manage to get the little guy somewhat back together and taped onto my finger. I got in position and took a number of shots, and we headed home so I could get to church on time.
After church, I downloaded and checked out the shots, and I wasn't happy with the results. I thought Brett should be better lit via auxiliary flash. Plus, my on-camera flash reflected on the tape. So, Brett volunteered to pose again. He found a green jersey, and off we headed to make another masterpiece, and by golly another storm moved in! We tried to work fast. In my haste, I didn't think to put a band around my hair, and my hair kept blowing into the frame. I also didn't like the cluttered greenway background, but we couldn't do any better because lightning was flashing. My auxiliary flash kept getting knocked down by the wind.
I ended up heavily photoshopping the tape out of the best shot from the morning shoot and submitting it just hours before the cutoff. I didn't make the finals, but I learned a lot from this experience.
One of the underlying purposes of Digital Grin challenges is to stretch the photographer's creativity and skills. This project definitely did that for me. Also forced me outside of my patience boundaries!